The Johnsons

The Johnsons
Chris & Michele, Malachi, Josiah, Levi, & Isaac

Monday, January 18, 2016

Because He loves us

As I read through John 11, apart from seeing the great parallel to Salvation in the resurrection of Lazarus, I found a crazy couple verses in verse 5 & 6.

Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So, when he heard that Lazarus was ill, he stayed two days longer in the place where he was. – John 11:5-6

If we heard that a loved was sick and we had the remedy or could help them live and not die from this sickness, what would you do? I would jump in the car or airplane and race to that loved one to save them. Yet, Jesus, the Great Physician, who loved Martha, Mary and Lazarus did differently. He waited and stayed longer where He was. He could have healed with just a word! Yet, He waited and allowed Lazarus to die.

Jesus did this with one main goal, verse 4 – It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”

Jesus knew that Lazarus would die, and He allowed sin to have its toll on His loved friend. Why? He did it because He would raise him from the dead and give Glory to God through it all. It was unknown of anyone being raised from the dead. And when He did it, many believed in Jesus as the Messiah, God in the flesh.

But He did it also to increase the faith of His loved ones. It said that He waited because He loved His friends. It was to grow the faith of Martha, Mary and Lazarus. Not only for them but also for His disciples. Look at what Jesus said to the disciples in verse 14 & 15 –  Lazarus has died, and for your sake I am glad that I was not there, so that you may believe.”

So what is my encouragement to you? Everything that comes your way is from the loving hands of God to increase your faith and make you like Jesus! Take joy in this fact. He does not send hardship to you without being there to carry you through it. As Spurgeon said – 
"As sure as God puts His children in the furnace, He will be in the furnace with them" 
and 
The furnace of affliction is a good place for you, Christian; it benefits you; it helps you to become more like Christ, and it is fitting you for heaven.

Rest in Jesus when trials come to test and grow your faith. Get down on your knees and plead for God to grow you and help you to persevere through them. Cry out and He does hear you! God is making you like Jesus in His own perfect way. He is faithful and He is your rock and your fortress!

The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 18:2

No comments:

Post a Comment