The Johnsons

The Johnsons
Chris & Michele, Malachi, Josiah, Levi, & Isaac

Friday, August 5, 2016

Sheep without a shepherd

On Sunday as I was coming back from preaching in Mexico, we passed a herd of Goats crossing the road. As we passed them and I looked, there was no shepherd. That is very strange in Mexico. The people usually keep them locked up and then when they roam and eat, there is a shepherd to walk with them, protect them, guard them and lead them where they should go.

So of course, my mind went to scriptures and I thought of the book of Mark.

"When he went ashore he saw a great crowd, and he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. And he began to teach them many things." - Mark 6:34

The people in the village that I preached in are the same. Sheep without a shepherd. I mean the few of them who believe, have the Jesus as their Shepherd and the Holy Spirit living in them. Yet, they do not have a spiritual leader guiding them daily. I enjoy the privilege of "getting to go" and share the truth of the Gospel with them and encourage them. I am praying that God will lead someone to step up and lead this small gathering, God's church.

It just grows my heart to return back to Oaxaca and dig in with a group of people who have never heard the Words of Truth and need to desperately hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I remember working with People Q when we were living in Oaxaca. The need to hear the Word of God. There are many such areas all across the mountains in Oaxaca. Jesus has some in each people group around the world.

Romans 5:9 -
And they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation,

There are sheep among the peoples in Oaxaca and we "get to go" and be the speaker of truth to them and love them with the love of Jesus Christ. They are living in darkness and hating God, just like I once did myself. The Gospel is what saves, and keeps saving us by sanctifying us and making us into the image of Jesus.

"Once Your enemy, 
now seated at Your table
Jesus, Thank You"


No comments:

Post a Comment